You may have noticed that we recently changed the billing workflow within Clio. Building on years of customer feedback, we set out to create a more intuitive, universal workflow that removed the need to repeatedly delete and regenerate bills in order to correct errors.
So how does the new workflow work? Clio’s new billing features include your billable clients being moved to the ‘Billable Clients’ header. Click it to pull up a list of clients with unbilled time:
If you have a particularly large list of billable clients, you’re also able to filter the list by client, matter number, responsible attorney, or limit the amount to bill to a particular date range: Once you have your clients selected for billing and you’ve clicked the ‘Generate’ button, you’ll notice there’s an option to skip the bill approval process. If you’re a solo practitioner, you’ll probably want to check this box to remove the need to have administrator approval prior to moving the bills from draft to final. Your bills will now be in ‘draft’ state, where you can take a number of actions:
- Clio Connect: share the draft bill with your client via Clio Connect. The helpful “Draft” watermark that appears on the invoice will help you and your clients differentiate between draft and final bills.
- Download: the bill in either PDF, CSV, or Ledes 1998B Output Formats.
- Edit: the bill to make changes to existing line entries or add new ones, add discounts per line entry or to the entire bill. *Bonus: changes made to the Quantity, Rate, Date, and line item Notes will be reflected back in the Matter’s Time and Expenses tabs.
- Submit for Approval: move the bill to the “Pending Approval” state for review.
- Approve: bypass the approval process and move the bill to “Awaiting Payment” where you can apply payments and send the final bill to the client.
- Delete: the bill if needed which will reset the original bill entries and move them back to the “Billable Clients” state.
Once your edits are made, click the ‘Submit for Approval’ or ‘Approve’ links to move the bill through to ‘Awaiting Payment’ state, where you’ll be able to print or share a final version of the bill with your client and apply payments.
Simple, intuitive and elegant: Clio’s new billing workflow will make editing, collaborating on and issuing invoices a breeze. If only getting paid was this easy!
For more information on our new billing workflow, please watch this pre-recorded webinar: