Frequently, firms will want to bill and submit payment for expenses and time entries separately for accounting and tracking purposes. While Clio has an option to split Services and Expenses on a bill, issuing separate billings requires this little trick:
1) First, you’ll want to edit your Expense entries to ensure they all fall within a specified time range outside of the dates on your Time Entries (or, if possible, a specific day), as when we are generating the bill we will be limiting the entries by date:
2) Note the selected date for our Expense entries is not in use by any of our unbilled Time Entries:
3) Now, when generating your bill, click the ‘More’ button on the Billable Clients pane, enter your client name, and check the box marked ‘Restrict to activities between’. Enter the date range to include your Expense entries and exclude your Time entries:
4) You’ll see that the bill available for generation is expense entry inclusive. Generate the bill as you normally would:
5) Voila! You now have a dedicated Expense bill that you may submit payment to. This payment will remain separate from the payment for the Time Entries and therefore more easily identifiable.
6) Lastly, your Time Entries will remain unbilled for future billings: