Many of our users ask about how they can sync their Clio calendar to their mobile device. Clio makes use of our Google or Outlook sync features to accomplish this. Essentially, Clio will all you to sync your mobile calendar by using the Google or Outlook calendar as a middleman.
The first step in this process is to set up a calendar sync with either Google or Outlook and your Clio account. Here are instructions for setting up a sync with Google Calendar, and here are instructions on setting up a sync with Outlook. on how to do this are located on our Support Site here:
Once your calendar is synced correctly follow the steps below to sync the calendar from Google or Outlook to your mobile device:
Google Sync to iCal
- On your iPhone or iPad go to Settings & Mail > Contacts > Calendars then tap “Add Account”
- Choose the Gmail type and input your Gmail login info.
- Turn on the Calendar sync and turn off Mail and Tasks (unless you want them, as well).
- You will be asked if you want to Delete or Merge with existing iCal content. (Delete will overwrite the existing events with the GCal events, Merge will add the GCal events to the calendar; choose carefully according to your needs.)
- Done! Open iCal and see your GCal events, which should include your sync’d Clio events!
Outlook Sync to iCal (Apple requires iTunes for this process)
*This process will overwrite the existing iCal events, there is no merge option.*
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer using the cable that came with the device.
- Open iTunes on your computer (if it does not open automatically).
- In iTunes, click your device name to access its options, then click the Info tab.
- Check the box beside “Sync Calendars with” and choose Outlook from the dropdown.
- To sync all calendars, click “All calendars”. To choose which calendars are sync’d, click “Selected calendars”, and then click the calendars you want (hold CTRL as you click additional names)
- Click Apply and wait for the sync to finish.
- Done! Open iCal and see your Outlook events, which should include your sync’d Clio events!
- Go to the Summary tab and check the box for “Sync with this iPhone/iPad over Wi-Fi” if you want future syncs to process without a direct connection. Be aware that this will sync your ENTIRE device contents each time.
Instead of using this Outlook & Device process through iTunes you can instead setup the iCloud sync feature if you are using iOS 5 or later, this includes similar options for Outlook calendars.
There are also several apps available for iPhones and iPads in the Apple App Store at no cost, which can be set up as a direct connection to your Google Calendar without affecting you native iCal feature. You will have to investigate these individually to discover one that suits your firm’s needs.
On an Android device the Google Calendar should be your native calendar and you will have your sync’d Clio & Google events show in that feature without additional tweaking.
If you have a paid “Google Apps for Business/Education” account, Google provides an Outlook sync app. Otherwise, you will need a 3rd-party application for Android & Outlook syncing. You will have to investigate the available apps for one that works with your particular device and needs.