Clio’s Outstanding Workplace: Celebrating Our Culture & Our PeopleJune 8, 2021
The last several months have undoubtedly been challenging and marked with uncertainty, but one thing remains constant: Clio is an award-winning company characterized by strong leadership and an outstanding culture that provides stability, support and growth opportunities for employees.
In 2021, Clio has received the following accolades:
- The Gold Standard distinction as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies
- Recognition as one of the top ten workplaces for women by Elpha, a popular women’s technology professionals network with over 35,000 members
- One of the 2021 Data Breakthrough Award winners, for our data-driven approach to transforming the legal experience for all
- Inclusion on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies for broadening access to justice amidst the COVID-19 pandemic
- Canada’s Top Employers for Young People and BC’s Top Employers for our continued focus on intentional development, recognizing the way we pivoted our operations to support #TeamClio in a time of uncertainty
- Outstanding Workplace by YWCA 2021 Women of Distinction Awards for our efforts in supporting and responding to the diverse needs of our team, balancing the demands and rewards of career, family, community and personal growth, and a focus on the success and advancement of women in our workplace.
These awards come on the heels of Jack Newton, Clio’s CEO and Founder, being recognized as one of Canada’s Most Admired CEOs by Waterstone Human Capital and Person of the Year at the 2020 Technology Impact Awards, held by the BC Tech Association. In addition, Clio has also been recognized as having one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures by Waterstone Human Capital.
While these recognitions cover a broad range of accomplishments, one common theme stands out; we are a company that consistently puts our employees first and have built a culture of deliberate development, opportunity, belonging, growth and collaboration.
So what’s our secret sauce?
We invest in career growth
At Clio, we deliberately and generously invest in extracurricular and on-the-job learning. We believe in developing and fostering a learning culture, where learning is intentional and applied. We believe that by continuously exposing ourselves to new ideas, learning and developing new skills, and convening with thought leaders in the industry, we will drive our individual and team performance to the next level and become the human and high-performing organization to which we aspire. We offer #TeamClio a variety of development programs and resources including an in-house performance coach and a six-week foundational leadership development program designed to build and enhance the core skills needed to be an effective leader.
We create time and space to recharge our batteries, prioritize health and wellness, and offer flexible work options
We recognize the importance of supporting our employees each and every day–and not just as it relates to work. Employees are encouraged to join Zoom workout classes, ranging from yoga to tabata, or take some time to slow down through guided meditations led by a fellow Clion. From daily company-wide huddles to virtual wellness initiatives, we provide our team with outlets to connect and collaborate with colleagues while working from home.
In an effort to continue to provide employees with new incentives, we recently introduced #StayFitHaveFun Days–one company-wide day off each month throughout the summer to help employees recharge their batteries.
We also created Distributed by Design, a new model of employment that is more inclusive and comprehensive of #TeamClio’s employee and organizational needs for flexibility. As part of the new model, Clions are given more freedom than ever when it comes to where they can plug in and log on. This includes:
- The choice to work from one of our hub offices located in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, and Dublin, remotely from home, or a combination of both.
- A one-time $500 allowance to outfit their home office and a $150 monthly wellness benefit that they can use towards their remote work and wellness needs.
With this new model in place, we’re giving employees the chance to work how they are most comfortable, rather than a one-size fits all approach. We also want Clions to know that no matter where they choose to work from, they will always have access to all the resources Clio offers.
We create a safe, supportive, and welcoming environment for all, and we speak up about systemic inequalities and injustices
We believe that to best honour our mission to transform the legal experience for all, our foundation–our people and culture–needs to authentically reflect it. We proudly foster a culture of diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging and continue to intentionally build out our team, ensuring we have varying perspectives, share different skills, and come from a wide range of backgrounds and experiences.
We also strive to be an anti-racist organization. We use ‘strive’ intentionally because we know there is no end to this goal; rather, it represents our ongoing commitment to continuously become a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable company.
Being a leader in technology and a pioneer in legaltech, means that we have an added responsibility to set the tone for the next generation—and to help ensure that the technology shaping legal experiences is also serving the greater good. We proudly take this stance and are committed to use our platforms to elevate this conversation.
We care deeply about what we own and leave things better than when we found them
With the help of the cloud, a world-class team, and a relentless focus on our customers, we are transforming the legal experience for all and have donated over $40 million of free product access over the last twelve years to legal clinics, paralegal programs, nonprofits, and law schools through the Clio Academic Access Program. Additionally, Clions are given 2.5 days paid time to support any charity they are passionate about and are encouraged to propose new philanthropic initiatives for us to take on. We know that giving back is important to many Clions and that’s why we’ve built volunteering into our company DNA.
Some of most recent giving initiatives include:
- COVID-19 Relief Initiative: In 2020, we launched a $1 million COVID-19 Legal Relief Initiative to help provide educational resources, free and discounted software, and direct financial assistance to help firms navigate the difficulties brought on by the pandemic. To date, we have contributed $1.1M USD to over 1,300 law firms.
- Pro Bono Programs: We partnered with the American Bar Association (ABA), Paladin, and LegalZoom to launch the ABA’s pro bono portal, connecting attorneys with pro bono opportunities, including unemployment benefits, housing, and domestic violence issues. The program has been instrumental in helping connect legal services to those who need them most. We also partnered with the New York State Bar Association (NYSBA) to launch an unemployment insurance relief program to assist New Yorkers with unemployment benefits and appeal denials.
- Equal Justice Initiative: We believe in equality and justice for all. That is why we donated $100,000 to the Equal Justice Initiative, which works to end mass incarceration, excessive punishment, and racial inequality.
We’re putting the legaltech scene on the map
As a market leader, we’re on an upward trajectory of rapid growth after launching the first and only end-to-end software solution for law firms in 2018. We secured one of the largest investments in legal technology and Canadian history with our $250M Series D funding round in 2019. And most recently, we became the first legal practice management company globally to achieve unicorn status after closing our Series E funding round, which brought our valuation to US$1.6B.
But, we’re just getting started. We’re on a mission to transform the legal experience for all and establish an enduring 100-year old company that will serve the legal industry well into the future. To help realize those goals, we will be adding 250 people to our team of over 600 strong by the end of 2021.
Now that we’ve shared some of the things that we think make us so special, we’re ready to hear from you! Visit clio.com/careers to learn more about all our open roles.