Whether you’re preparing to enter the legal industry or run your own firm, conferences can offer a host of benefits. While the choices are abound when it comes to legal events, there is one that thousands of lawyers, legal professionals, and technology enthusiasts flock to every year: the ABA TECHSHOW.
Presented by the ABA Law Practice Division, this three-day conference explores the intersection of the legal industry and technology through enlightening keynotes, lively workshops, and educational presentations. There’s also an expansive EXPO Hall brimming with the most advanced legal technology solutions.
If you’re considering attending this year’s event, here’s a run-down of everything you need to know.
What to expect at ABA TECHSHOW 2023
Here’s a closer look at what’s in store.
ABA TECHSHOW 2023 tracks
As with previous years, a top draw of ABA TECHSHOW 2023 is its informative mix of CLE programming tracks. Covering a multitude of legal topics, the common theme that runs through them is technology’s transformative role in the industry—from helping lawyers work more efficiently to delivering better client service.
This year’s tracks include:
- Financial management: Legal professionals can scale their firm and drive profitability even through turbulent times. How? By harnessing the power of technology—whether it’s streamlining billing, offering alternative payment methods, or even accepting new currencies. This track will show you how to do just that.
- Marketing: In a vast sea of law firms, many legal professionals struggle to stand out from competitors. This track will delve into how savvy law firm marketing can attract new clients and give firms a competitive edge.
- Core concepts: This track returns to the basics with a primer on key applications and concepts. It will cover practical tips for efficiently using PCs and Macs, leveling up Microsoft Word and PDF skills, improving time management, strengthening security, and plenty more.
- Operations: What do the most successful law firms have in common? Effortless operations is one attribute that comes out on top. This track will unlock the secrets to using legal technology to improve processes and automate systems—so that legal professionals can spend their time where it matters most.
- Futures: Keeping up with the rapid pace of technological change is no easy task. This track will clarify how technological advances impact the legal industry, including the metaverse, non-fungible assets (NFTs), and Web3 projects.
- Client experience: Running a client-centered law firm is vital to success. In this track, attendees will learn how to deliver top-notch service throughout the client journey. It’s a must for anyone looking to boost satisfaction and turn clients into their greatest advocates.
- Transactional: From document management to technology assisted reviews, the transactional track will focus on the tools and technologies that can elevate transactional practices within a law firm.
Throughout the decades, the industry’s most innovative thinkers have taken the stage at ABA TECHSHOW—and 2023 is no exception. Below are a few inspirational speakers sharing their knowledge at this year’s event.
Kristen Sonday: Kristen is the co-founder and CEO of Paladin, a legal technology company that increases access to justice by helping law firms and Fortune 500 companies learn about pro bono cases. We had the privilege of speaking with Kristen on our podcast, Matters—and can’t wait for her ABA TECHSHOW panel on creating successful legal tech startups.
Jayden Doyé: As the president of Prestige Accounting Solutions, Jayden empowers clients across various industries to expand their financial portfolios and achieve financial sustainability. He also frequently shares insights on financial management through speaking engagements including this webinar on how to increase your profits while reducing burnout. At ABA TECHSHOW, he’ll discuss tax strategies for today’s digital world and tips for making billing easier.
Haley Moss: Diagnosed with autism at the age of three, Haley has since shattered stereotypes as an acclaimed attorney, author of four books, and talented artist. As a lawyer and neurodiversity advocate, Haley counsels corporations on creating diverse workplaces and is a highly sought-after speaker on disability rights issues. Her ABA TECHSHOW sessions will examine accessibility in legal tech and the ethics of ADA compliance technology.
Charina Garcia: Charina is a prominent immigration lawyer. As Strategy and Innovation Partner at WR Immigration, she represents start-ups, Fortune 500 companies, and individuals on employment and family-based immigration legal matters. Charina will talk about how technology can humanize the client experience and its role in advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility goals.
Pablo Arredondo: Pablo is co-founder and chief innovation officer at Casetext, a legal tech company that enables faster research, drafting, and more. Among his innovations, he’s developed a groundbreaking brief analysis tool—which has garnered attention from the American Bar Association, The American Association of Law Libraries, and the World Economic Forum. Pablo is also a CodeX Fellow at the Stanford Center for Legal Informatics. He will speak on using artificial intelligence (AI) and data analytics in litigation, and how the AI cloud can transform practices.
ABA TECHSHOW 2023 schedule
As any seasoned attendee knows, it’s a good idea to prepare a plan for which sessions you’ll attend at the ABA TECHSHOW. If you’re struggling to whittle them down, we’ve rounded up several that you won’t want to miss. Including a keynote panel on March 2nd featuring Clio’s own CEO and Founder, Jack Newton.
March 2, 2023
- 8:45 – 9:45 a.m. Start the day off with a keynote session featuring a legal tech visionaries panel, moderated by Clio CEO Jack Newton.
- 10:00 – 11:00 a.m. Billing 101 With Tech, with Jayden Doyé and Deborah Schaefer.
- 11:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. Accessibility in Legal Tech, with Haley Moss and Lisa Mueller.
- 2:00 – 3:00 p.m. Lights, Camera, Action! How to Use Video to Level Up Your Firm’s Client Experience, with Temi Siyanbade and Stanley Tate.
- 3:15 – 4:15 p.m. Humanizing Your Client Experience With Tech, with Charina Garcia and Ashley Pepitone.
March 3, 2023
- 10:00 – 11:00 a.m. Empower with AI: How AI Could (And Perhaps Already Is) Charging Your Practice, with Pablo Arredondo and Greg Siskind.
- 11:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. Preparing for the Global Workforce: Leveraging Technology to Advance DEIA Goals, with Charina Garcia.
- 2:00 – 4:15 pm. Workshop: Designing an A+ Client Experience, with Jessica Bednarz and Catherine Sanders Reach.
- 4:30 – 5:30 p.m. 60 in 60, with Jeannine Lambert, Gyi Tsakalakis, Sofia Stefanie Lingos, and Cynthia Thomas.
Check out the full schedule page to learn about more informative sessions.
Visit Clio at the 2023 ABA TECHSHOW
If you’re attending this year’s conference, stop by booth 400, aka, the Clio booth where we’ll have:
- Conversations with legal professionals on how to overcome the challenges of an inflationary economy
- A chance to win a FREE TRIP to ClioCon, the #1 conference in legal, by participating in a Clio demo
- An exclusive copy of the 2022 Legal Trends Report, exciting prizes, custom swag, and more
…all this, over a cup of hot coffee (the real deal from our espresso bar) and sweet treats!
You may like these posts
Final notes on ABA TECHSHOW 2023
Visionary keynote speakers, an exhibition hall packed with cutting-edge technologies, thought-provoking panels, and a plethora of networking opportunities make ABA TECHSHOW one of the industry’s most popular events. This year’s event will provide an incredible opportunity to discover the latest legal technologies and realize their tremendous potential in overcoming the industry’s greatest challenges. Not to mention, a lineup of exhibitors
If you’re looking to add more more live events to your calendar this year; read our blog about the best legal conferences for lawyers in 2023.
We published this blog post in February 2023. Last updated: .
Categorized in: Business
Take your practice anywhere.
A briefcase that fits your laptop is key to running your practice from anywhere with Clio.See Clio in Action