What we're looking for
Simply put, we’re looking for content that is objectively useful for lawyers, paralegals, and others working in the legal space. What you write about (and how you write about it) should be something that you’d be excited to share with a close friend in the legal industry.
Not sure where to start? Here are a few content formats that we’ve found perform well:
- Lists of tips or steps (e.g., 15 ways to level up your solo practice this year)
- Guides (e.g., A guide to using client portals at your law firm)
- How-to’s (e.g., How to calculate your hourly rate)
- Explainers (e.g., Why litigation lawyers are losing 10 hours per week)
- Expert insights (e.g., 7 things I’ve learned from starting a law firm)
And here are a few general topics our audience is interested in:
- Law firm management
- Legal technology
- Law firm marketing
- Starting a law firm
The 90/10 rule
Avoid sales-y marketing lingo—even if you think you’re being subtle (it’s never subtle).
This doesn’t mean you can’t talk about your product. It just means you need to focus on useful content and let your product come up naturally.
Follow the 90/10 rule: at least 90 percent of your post should focus on useful content. The remaining 10 percent (or less) can speak to your product. Here’s an example of what we mean: Our post on the best apps for lawyers talks about a whole range of different apps for lawyers, and it only mentions Clio at the very end.
People only read about 20% of what they see on the internet. In other words, they’re skimming, not reading, and blog posts should be structured with this in mind. Here are a few tips:
- Length. Minimum 700 words. Beyond that, your post should be as long or short as needed to be useful. Don’t add fluff, but don’t skimp on detail either.
- Introduction and conclusion. Include a brief introduction and conclusion. These should have the key points covered in the post.
- Hook. Think hard about why your target audience might care about your topic, and make sure your first sentence draws the reader in. Questions, statistics, or short, direct sentences are all good tactics here.
- Subheadings. Make sure all subheadings in your post relate clearly back to your title and topic, and make it easy for a skimming reader to find the section they are most interested in (this also makes it easier for Google to understand what the post it about, which helps it rank for appropriate searches).
- Bulleted lists. Use bulleted lists instead of meandering sentences.
- Short sentences and paragraphs. Use them! Short sentences are easier for your reader to digest, and short paragraphs leave more white space and make content easier to read on the web (consider those who might be reading on a smartphone, for example).
- Be specific. Using real world examples, and/or citing stats from primary sources, will make your piece a stronger candidate for the Clio Blog.
- Links. Where appropriate, link to other useful content (bonus points if you link to other posts on the Clio Blog!).
Below is a shortlist of important rules:
- Spelling—We use American spelling, and we prefer the Merriam-Webster online dictionary.
- Grammar—We use the AP Stylebook for answers to questions on punctuation, grammar, capitalization, abbreviation, etc.
- Address our audience directly (“you”).
- Avoid jargon and clichés.
- Never use passive voice where you can use active voice.
- If it is possible to cut out a word, always cut it out.
- We cannot accept posts that have been published elsewhere, so please don’t submit them.
- We reserve the right to edit all submitted content for grammar/style and to trim for brevity.
Before you hit send
- Send drafts as a Microsoft Word document or Google doc.
- Include a short bio about yourself.