Let’s face it, with new technology being introduced every day, the only constant in legaltech is change.
Keeping up with all the industry updates and legal trends can be overwhelming for, but it’s imperative that legal professionals keep a finger on the pulse of rapidly-shifting changes in legaltech, for their clients and their firm.
Thankfully, we’ve made it easy to stay informed about legaltech news. Read on to familiarize yourself with the top legaltech news sources.
What is legaltech news
Legaltech news refers to updates, product launches, new insights, and any other notable changes taking place in the legal technology world. This could be a company launching credit card payments software for lawyers, or how legal technology supports law firms assembling modern legal networks.
Why legal professionals should stay in the know
Technology impacts everything we do, from how we pay at the grocery store to how we book reservations at a restaurant. And no matter your personal comfort levels with using it, technology is here to stay.
So, while not everyone has to live in a smart home and buy a drone, staying informed gives you a better understanding of legaltech—along with its benefits and challenges. With this knowledge, you will ultimately gain a more holistic view of the legal industry.
To learn more about legal technology—what it is, why it’s important, the different types, and more—be sure to read our Legal Technology Buyer’s Guide.
Where to get legaltech news
Just as we all consume our news a little differently, the same can be said for legaltech news. From press releases to podcasts, there are many ways to keep your finger on the pulse.
Five ways to stay informed about legaltech news
Below are five ways to stay informed about the latest happenings in the legaltech world.
1. Visit the best websites and blogs for legaltech news
There are many high-quality legal blogs to keep on your radar. This includes blogs specific to legaltech news. These include:
- The Clio Blog: The Clio Blog is a trusted resource for the latest ideas on running a more efficient, profitable law firm.
- Lawsites: Content ranges from business resources for lawyers to reporting on impactful acquisitions.
- Legal IT Insider: Legal IT’s leading news source, Legal IT Insider is a one-stop shop for noteworthy updates, news, and deep dives into the unchartered waters of legal IT.
- Law Technology Today: This legaltech news blog covers automation, remote work in the legal field, and more. They even offer a specific blog section for security, including an in-depth look at NFTs.
- Artificial Lawyer: This website is devoted to helping legal professionals improve and optimize their processes through technology. Their articles offer comprehensive legaltech conference coverage, product walkthroughs, and more.
2. Attend a legaltech conference
With so many legal conferences, it can be difficult to pick which events to attend. When it comes to legaltech news, below are a few of the best conferences:
- Clio Cloud Conference: As the world’s biggest legal conference, Clio’s annual Cloud Conference brings together thousands of like-minded professionals. There are a plethora of presentations and networking opportunities pertaining to the latest legaltech news.
- ABA Techshow: The ABA TECHSHOW brings together legal professionals and technology to showcase the latest tools and strategies to help lawyers practice the law more efficiently and effectively.
- Legalweek: With a focus on driving the industry forward, Legalweek is an ideal conference for large firms.
- Legal Tech Summit: This Canadian event presented “by lawyers, for lawyers,” will provide practical ideas and real-life examples to thrive in the new legal virtual landscape.
In addition to in-person and online conferences, there is a myriad of live legaltech webinars and recordings discussing many niche areas of legaltech news.
3. Subscribe to an email newsletter for legaltech news
It can be difficult to carve out time to read legaltech news regularly. The good news is you can stay connected by getting blogs and articles delivered right to your inbox. Look at your favorite legaltech blogs and see if they have a newsletter you can subscribe to, so you’ll get their latest articles emailed to you.
4. Listen to legaltech news podcasts
The benefit of podcasts as a medium is its accessibility. You can dial into an informative legal podcast even while you’re out and about. Below are some great shows to queue up:
- Matters, Season two: This podcast goes back to the basics and explores the need for a fundamental shift in the legal industry—from being “lawyer-centered” to client-centered. All while keeping you up-to-date on advancements in the legaltech space.
- Legally Speaking: Covering a broad range of topics such as diversity and inclusion, mental health in the legal space, career advice, marketing, legaltech news, as well as more hot-button topics such as cannabis legalization.
- New Solo: Solo lawyering gives legal professionals the flexibility and opportunity to run their own businesses. However, this is not without its unique set of challenges. This podcast is hosted by Adriana Linares, a law practice consultant, legaltech coach, and President of LawTech Partners, to help through those challenges.
5. Follow and engage with legaltech news social media accounts
If you’re the type to turn to Twitter for your news, social media might be the best way for you to stay in the know about legaltech news. Start by following your favorite legaltech publications, companies, journalists who cover legal technology, and legaltech industry professionals. This will provide you with a wide range of viewpoints and information to consume quickly, at your own pace. Here are some Twitter accounts to consider following:
Beyond solely legaltech news, there are many informative legal professionals to follow on Twitter to ensure you’re up to speed on the latest industry happenings. It’s worth mentioning many notable legal professionals will Tweet about the latest and greatest legaltech news as well as other relevant topics.
6. Network to stay informed about legaltech news
No matter how far technology takes us, there will always be power in a handshake, wine clink, and in-person smile. Thankfully, it’s never been easier to network. With so many niche events, committees, and groups, you can surely find your people and feel safe and empowered to meet some new, friendly faces. Whether you’re exhausted by Zoom rooms or unwilling to leave your living room, there are excited, like-minded legal professionals for you to meet and network with. Consider brushing up on your networking skills, and consider attending a networking event with a friend or colleague. Online forums and communities geared towards legal professionals can offer digital opportunities to meet fellow attorneys.
Keep an open mind and try to have fun, as networking can offer many benefits beyond staying in the know about legaltech news.
Final thoughts on legaltech news
As legal professionals, your clients and communities alike will benefit from your awareness of industry changes. This dedication to knowledge and growth will undoubtedly help you provide the best client-centered experience. And staying connected to legaltech news is just the start.
We encourage you to have meaningful conversations with those around you about the legaltech landscape. And at the end of the day, it’s all about enjoying the journey of learning and exploring.
Want more? We just published our 2022 Legal Trends Report—it’s the legal industry’s most in-depth examination into the state of the legal practice, bringing together critical insights about how law firms have adapted their services to meet the challenging circumstances of the past three years. Get the report to learn how to thrive in this new legal environment of rapidly shifting consumer expectations.