Good law firm websites give your clients a place to connect with you online. Great lawyer websites are easy to navigate with services clearly laid out. But the best law firm websites provide an effortless, client-centered experience while projecting a strong, clear brand for your practice.
Below, we’ve looked at a number of law firm website designs and compiled a list of the ones which impressed us the most. We hope this helps you can get inspired with useful tactics to improve your own website regardless of firm size and whether you’re a criminal defense attorney, family lawyer, or real estate law legal practitioner.
How does your law firm’s website stack up?
Use Clio’s law firm website scorecard to compare your website against the best of your peers.Get the Scorecard
1. ASA Law Group
Topping the list of best law firm websites is ASA Law Group, a worker’s compensation defense firm based in Oak Brook, Illinois. Their website shows off their expertise and ability to meet their clients’ needs by showcasing weekly telebriefs on their homepage. Moreover, ASA shows how they cater to the needs of business clients on their about page, because they emphasize how they are a client-centered practice rather than a billable-centered one.
2. Beacon Law
Many lawyer websites fall into the trap of over complicating their website and making it confusing to the user. Beacon Law, which provides legal services to low-income individuals in Houston, Texas, manages to avoid this by having a clear and easy-to-find having online intake form right on their homepage. This makes the user experience much smoother for those looking to access legal services quickly.
3. Bend Law Group
All of the best law firm websites place a strong emphasis on branding and getting their message across as soon as the visitor lands on the website. Bend Law Group does this in spectacular fashion with an eye-catching homepage header which reads “Dream big. We got your back.”
On top of that, Bend has been mentioned in several impressive publications, and the firm also showcases their top SuperLawyer, Avvo, and Yelp ratings on their home page. Finally, the firm prominently features its phone number, address, and email, so clients and potential clients can contact them easily.
Their law firm specializes in business and intellectual property law based in San Francisco, California.
4. California Innocence Project
The California Innocence Project helps to free wrongfully convicted individuals in California. The power of their website lies in its simplicity. It knows the work they do will quickly inspire and resonate with their audience, so their website design prioritizes strong visuals and copy to make their mission clear. It’s also quick to answer questions about what innocence organizations are and why support is needed right away.
Law firm websites are rarely this impactful.
5. Cascade Legal Planning
Cascade Legal Planning, an estate planning firm based in Portland, Oregon, has a calming website that clearly highlights different services offered. And, it’s clear what the firm does, because there are pages on wills, trusts, probate, and more that clearly lay out what’s included for each service in a bulleted list. What’s more, this even includes pricing, an important piece of information which lawyer websites often neglect to include!
6. Fresh Legal
Fresh Legal makes our list of best law firm websites due to their excellent use of reassurance copy. As soon as a website visitor lands on their homepage, they’re prompted to schedule a free call. This is important, because it allays any worries about the initial cost of legal services, on top of the difficulties a potential client with legal issues may be facing.
Fresh Legal is a family law firm based in Ottawa, Canada. Another thing they do well is highlight their expertise through content marketing and by blogging regularly on issues related to their practice areas.
7. Hamra Law Group
Hamra Law Group, a business and employment law firm in New York, mixes up the traditional law firm website designs template by featuring images of the firm’s key lawyers, allowing prospective clients to put a face to a name right away. This is important, because it could potentially increase a prospective client’s trust in the firm.
Also, the law firm highlights that initial consultations are free in multiple places, showcasing how it provides value to clients upfront. Furthermore, highlighting their free consultations also emphasizes that the firm is budget conscious, and offers fair and transparent billing. With cost being a key consideration for many legal clients, this approach is on the money.
8. Hoglund, Chwialkowski & Mrozik, P.L.L.C.
Generally speaking, there’s no set layout, color, or design which all of the best law firm websites share. What they do have in common however, is they address the needs of all prospective clients and website visitors.
Hoglund, Chwialkowski & Mrozik, P.L.L.C., a rapidly-growing bankruptcy and Social Security law firm headquartered in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota, understand the above concept perfectly.
Firstly, their clear homepage highlights their practice areas front-and-center, letting clients know they’re in the right place. Then, their phone number is highlighted with a call-to-action (CTA) button in a bright color, making them easy to contact, and the firm highlights that clients can get started for zero-dollars, easing cost concerns.
9. K Bennett Law LLC
K Bennett Law LLC is a boutique subscription legal services firm focused with law offices in Atlanta, Georgia.
Their website design makes it clear that the firm is there to support law firms right from the start. Creating a strong first impression, the clean, well-designed home page offers three different ways to get in contact, including a live chat or scheduling a consultation. As well, the home page details different types of services offered, and highlights that everything is 100% flat fee because this is important for cost conscious new business owners with predictable budgets.
10. Kinchloe Law
Kinchloe Law, a firm that covers family, disability, and business law in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, has a website design that makes the user experience simple to navigate. They make it easy to get in contact with a banner, clear button, and option to start chatting right from their home page. Furthermore, founder Alycia Kinchloe showcases her expertise on the site with A House Divided: A Family Law Podcast.
LayRoots, an asset protection and estate planning law firm in Seattle, Washington, has one of the best law firm websites online today.
Their site immediately grabs the attention of its visitors with a clear call to action for anyone who’s on the fence about asset protection (“You earned it. Protect it or risk losing it.”). To make it easy to reach out, their address (with a map) and a “contact us” form are ingrained throughout the website design at the bottom of every page, and you can schedule a consultation by picking a time from their calendar, saving time.
12. Levine Family Law Group
Levine Family Law Group, a full-service, million-dollar divorce and family legal practice serving California’s Bay Area, has a clean, inviting web design that clearly describes services offered, and how Levine Group best meets client needs (“Divorce is stressful. Our goal is to minimize the cost and disruption to your life.”). To make the firm easy to contact, there’s a chatbot in the bottom right corner so potential clients can get their initial questions answered quickly.
13. Locks Law Firm
Locks Law Firm, a personal injury law firm with offices in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York, builds confidence with clients on its homepage by highlighting that it gets results—over $1 billion, to be exact. Clients can easily find out if they have a case (without waiting to contact someone), and fill out a form to contact the firm right from the homepage.
14. Modern Law
Modern Law, a family practice firm based in Mesa, Arizona, gives clients a clear path to get their questions answered from their homepage. Clients can book a consultation using the clear, bright call-to-action (CTA) button in the middle of the page, or they can choose from options related to their specific situation, like “I am researching law firms” or “I need affordable divorce options.”
15. Palace Law
Palace Law, a personal injury law and worker’s compensation firm based in Tacoma, Washington, follows the best law firm websites mantra of building trust in their services. They do this by showcasing recognition and awards front-and-center on its homepage, backing up the fact that they’re a “top rated” law firm. There are multiple ways to contact the firm (in both English and Spanish!) and clients can easily find out what their case is worth.
16. Roach Law
Roach Law has experienced trial attorneys with law offices in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Their law firm website clearly highlights their phone number and makes it easy to schedule a consultation with an intake form on their website. And, for each practice area the firm serves, clients can easily find out more about what’s covered and if it meets their needs, or book a consultation right away.
17. T. Burd Law Group
T.Burd Law Group, a civil litigation firm based in San Diego, California, has a clear and easy-to-navigate website with upfront contact information “for a rapid response.” The site also highlights impressive quotations by media outlets like ABC and CBS. To keep clients informed, their website content also includes a page outlining the importance of statutes of limitations. This ensures clients have crucial information about when their case needs to be filed.
18. Vanst Law
Vanst Law is a virtual law firm that’s “technically” headquartered in San Diego, California. Due to the online nature of their business model, there’s much more pressure on their website design compared to other lawyer websites. However, they manage that burden masterfully with a sleek, modern website which highlights their expertise and how their virtual model provides value for clients.
Showcasing their commitment to clients, Vanst Law’s story of how a lawyer went to a client’s house to shake their hand when the client wanted to meet their attorney in person shows rather than tells how the firm goes above and beyond.
19. Vela Wood
Vela Wood, a law firm for small businesses and venture capital funds in Dallas and Austin, showcases sleek, professional branding on their website to illustrate the level of service clients can expect. And, the firm also features a podcast, venture glossary, and “startup central” section of its site. This helps build trust and show support for their business clients.
20. Ziva Law
Completing our list of the best law firm websites is Ziva Law, a firm focused on negotiating commercial leases based in Honolulu, Hawaii.
What they do a great job of is making their offering clear, as well as the reasons a company or business should choose to work with them. They offer a free due diligence checklist for commercial tenants on their site. This is helpful, because it builds trust and authority with clients.
What features go into great law firm web designs?
You need to use SEO to be found online, build trust with clients, and lead them to contact you about your services. And, this should all happen on a crisp, beautiful website that represents your law firm’s brand.
How we determined the best law firm websites
Below, we’ve included the criteria we used to determine the best law firm websites. Take a look, and see how your firm’s website stacks up! You can read our criteria below, or download them in the form of our law firm website scorecard. You can also learn more about building great lawyer websites with our comprehensive guide.Get the Law Firm Website Scorecard
To evaluate your website against the best law firm websites, you’ll need to look at three areas:
- Client experience
- Technical factors
Good client experience
- Is the site’s content clear and easy to understand? All of the best law firm websites get straight to the point, and don’t bury visitors in legal jargon. You’ll need good copywriting and plain language to succeed. Keep it simple!
- Is the site easy to navigate? Is your site easy to get around, or do potential clients get lost? Structure your website with clear navigation to make it easy to see the value you provide.
- Do visitors know what services you offer? What legal services are included and how do they benefit the client? How do the services relate to problems a client is facing? Address these with a clear description of services offered on your website.
- Is it easy to find the firm’s contact information? Clients shouldn’t have to struggle to call you or send an email. Ideally, you should give clients multiple calls-to-action to contact your firm—and you should clearly display your firm’s contact details on your home page.
- Does the site offer online client intake? If a client needs your help now, they shouldn’t have to play telephone tag. For the best law firm website, add an online intake system to help clients seamlessly start to get legal help (for example, using public intake forms with Clio Grow).
- Are visuals strong? For a strong law firm brand, make sure your website design includes good quality, original images. Avoid stock photos.
- Does the website feature social proof? You can build your reputation and put prospective clients at ease when looking at hiring you with testimonials, reviews, and positive social media posts. To attract more attention, display testimonials prominently on your website.
- Do the bios and “about” page build authority? Your firm’s website should include a short bio that showcases the expertise of lawyers at your firm. To tie it all together, your “about” page should clearly state your law firm’s mission (driven by your vision and values).
- Does the site feature authoritative blog content? Publishing blog posts, videos, or other content marketing materials relating to your target audience and their pain points builds your reputation as an expert and builds trust with clients. Show clients you’re an expert they can turn to by providing valuable information on your site.
Top technical factors
- Do pages load quickly? If pages on your law firm website don’t load fast enough, prospective clients will go back to Google and look somewhere else. Test your site’s speed and take measures to improve it if necessary. Pages should load under 2 seconds.
- Is the site accessible? Can people with low-vision or limited motor capabilities easily navigate your website? If not, update your color scheme. It’s important that your firm be seen by all clients. Use the tools on this list to check if your site is accessible. There should be no issues or only minor ones.
- Is the site mobile-friendly? People spend more and more time on their smartphones—including when they’re looking for a lawyer. Visitors should find your website visually appealing and easy to navigate on a mobile device. Check your website on your own mobile device to see.
- Does the website have a search engine optimization (SEO) marketing strategy? Search engine optimization is the process of making your website known to Google and then appearing in search query result pages. Implementing SEO best practices onto your lawyer website will grow your organic traffic and customer base.
As you would expect from the best law firm websites, each website included in this post was strong in all or most of these areas, and yours can be too. To learn more, Download our law firm website scorecard. It will help uncover improvements to your attorney website that could get you more clients.
We published this blog post in June 2020. Last updated: .
Categorized in: Marketing
Law firm marketing experts share their top tips - for free
Get law firm marketing tips from Gyi Tsakalakis, Josh King, and Kevin O'Keefe in our free ebook: The Lawyer's Guide to Marketing Your Firm Online.Get the Guide